5 Social Media Demographic Stats You Probably Didn’t KnowPosted by Heidi Strom Moon under Social Media
When it comes to choosing a social media platform to use for your business marketing, one of the considerations to make is its demographic profile. Does its audience match your target audience? After all, you want to spend your time & resources talking to your target audience, not a random group of folks on, say, Google+. It pays to take some time to investigate who is hanging out where in the socail media landscape.
And even after you’ve done the initial research, be sure to review those demographics periodically because the numbers are always changing. Where you find your audience today may not be where it is tomorrow—and your target market may have changed, too.
Here are 5 social media demographic stats for the U.S. you should know:
- You can reach more women on Facebook than on Pinterest. Although Pinterest’s users are more disproportionately female, the total audience on Facebook is greater: 70% of all female online users, according to a recent Pew Internet & American Life Project report.
- Older men love Google+. The user base of Google Plus is 71% male and half of them are over 45.
- Most Instagram users are under 29. The photo sharing service is used by 27% of internet users aged 18-29, but only 8% of those who are 30-49.
- More adults use LinkedIn than Twitter. Professional networking site LinkedIn has an audience of 20% of U.S. online adults; Twitter’s is 16%.
- The majority of YouTube’s global audience is female. Out of a total audience base of 800 million (that’s a lot of people watching “Gangnam Style”), 55% are female.
These numbers are just a portion of the social media demographic data that’s available, of course. To really dig in for the information that’s most relevant to your business, try these sources:
- “Photos and Videos as Social Currency Online,” Pew Internet & American Life Project, Sept. 13, 2012
- “Photos and Videos as Social Currency Online: Additional Material and Demographics,” Pew Internet & American Life Project, Sept. 13, 2012
- “Pew Internet: Social Networking,” Pew Internet & American Life Project, Sept. 17, 2012
- “Report: Social Network Demographics in 2012,” Royal Pingdom Blog, August 21, 2012
- “2012 Social Network Analysis Report – Demographic, Geographic and Search Data Revealed,” Ignite Social Media Blog, July 31, 2012
- “The Beast With a Billion Eyes,” Time Magazine, Jan. 30, 2012
- “Flickr,” Yahoo! Advertising Solutions, retrieved Oct. 19, 2012
Still not sure which social media platforms are right for you? Review our information and tools at PowerUp Social, www.powerupsocial.com, or Contact CDG to craft a custom social media strategy plan for your business.
Permalink URL for this entry:
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 5 Social Media Demographic Stats You Probably Didn’t Know: