Only 230 Shopping Days Left Before Christmas: Get Your Mobile Strategy in Order NowPosted by Lisa King under Interactive Marketing , Mobile , Web Strategy
The weather's warming up, and it's time to start thinking about summer vacation, barbeques, and . . . the holiday shopping season.Yes, you read that right. It's not even June, but you should already be thinking about your end-of-the-year holiday strategy.
More than ever, that strategy needs to include a smart and efficient use of mobile platforms. Shopping in general is becoming more mobile-centric, and even more so during the holidays, when shoppers want to make the most efficient use of their time and dollars. If you (or anyone other decision-makers in your company) need convincing that mobile is a must this holiday season, consider these facts:
- Up to 65% of consumers confirm store hours and location, prices or product availability using their mobile phone before even heading to a store.
- 52% of US consumers use their mobile phones to search for information such as product reviews and competitive pricing while they are in the store.
- Mobile search will generate 27.8 billion more queries than desktop search by 2016. This trend has led Google to launch a new smartphone-specific crawler to return search results targeted for smartphone users.
If you don’t already have a mobile strategy in place, the time to begin planning and executing for mobile is now. Otherwise you’ll discover that it’s too late to be ready when the holiday shoppers should be lining up at your store (virtual or otherwise).
And of course, "mobile strategy" is not just a fancy way of saying "mobile website." Yes, a mobile-optimized website is a good start, but it comprises only part of a comprehensive mobile strategy. An effective mobile strategy will include a variety of tactics, such as:
- Optimizing your listings in review sites, Google Places, location-based social media (such as FourSquare)
- Testing new search strategies for the smartphone crawler as people search differently on their phones than on their desktop computers
- Creating mobile-specific PPC in addition to search optimization efforts
- Using mobile-specific functionality such as click-to-call and geo-targeting
- Incorporating QR Codes or short URLs in off-line channels to help customers find your mobile presence
If you need help getting "mobile-ized" for the holidays, contact CDG. We'll help you assess the behavior of your current mobile visitors, set goals, develop and optimize your mobile strategy and measure your success.
Photo Credit: Joe Buckingham on Flickr
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Only 230 Shopping Days Left Before Christmas: Get Your Mobile Strategy in Order Now :